Frequently Asked Questions for Tenants

We believe that a knowledgeable tenant is better prepared and has a more satisfying tenant experience. Below you’ll find answers to many of the most frequently asked questions we receive. If you have any questions that have not been answered on this website, please fill out the Feedback form in Tenant Services or email us and a Sleepwell representative will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.

This document will refer to the Residential Tenancies Act (2007) as “the Act” and the Landlord and Tenant Board as “the Board”. Sleepwell acts as the property landlord’s representative therefore, in the answers below the use of the term “landlord” is interchangeable with the term “Sleepwell”.



How do I set up an appointment to view one of Sleepwell’s available rental units?

An online appointment form accompanies the detailed listing page for each rental unit we currently have available. Alternatively, please email us and indicate which apartment(s) you are interested in seeing and your availability. If you do not have access to email, you may call the office at 613-521-2000 to set up your appointment.

Where do I get an Application for Tenancy and how do I submit it once completed?

The Application for Tenancy form may be filled out online or downloaded here. The application can also be faxed to you, by request, or picked up at the Sleepwell office.

Once you have completed your application, please submit online, by email, by fax, or drop it off at the office. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis, so please submit it, along with your deposit, as soon as possible to secure the apartment that you are interested in.

What methods of payment will Sleepwell accept for last month’s rent deposits?

Last month’s rent deposit will only be accepted in the form of a certified cheque or money order made payable to Sleepwell Management Corp. Sleepwell will not accept personal cheques for deposits on apartments.

I submitted a deposit to secure an apartment but my application was not approved. Will I get my deposit back?

Yes, you are legally entitled to a full refund of your last month's rent deposit if Management does not accept you as a tenant for any reason.

I gave Sleepwell a deposit to secure an apartment, but changed my mind. How do I get my deposit back?

Your last month's rent deposit is not refundable in this circumstance. When you submit your deposit, it is important that you are 100% sure that you would like to rent the apartment. The only case in which your deposit will be refunded is if your application is denied and/or someone else is given the apartment.

Will I need a co-signer for my lease?

Sleepwell may request that you have a co-signer (i.e. Parent or guardian) to complete the leasing process. You will be advised of this requirement following the submission of your rental application.

Does everyone living in the rental unit have to sign the lease?

It is recommended that all persons living in the apartment sign the lease, so that no one person can be held legally accountable for a shared apartment. The responsibility should be divided equally among your roommates, particularly if you are all paying equal shares in rent.

Can the lease be broken?

All lease agreements are legal contracts that cannot be broken without the consent of both parties involved. Therefore, you cannot break your lease without first consulting Sleepwell and obtaining our approval. See Subletting/Reassigning for further details on how to transfer the responsibility of a lease to another party.

How long are the terms of the lease?

Unless an alternative agreement has been reached between the tenant(s) and Sleepwell, all lease agreements are for a period of 12 months.

My lease is/will be over and I am not renewing. What are my obligations?

You are required by law to notify Sleepwell a minimum of 60 days prior to the expiration of your lease that you will be vacating the apartment. Approximately 4 weeks prior to the termination of your lease, Sleepwell will mail you an official “move-out letter” which will include detailed instructions on your responsibilities. You will be required to clean your apartment and leave it in good condition for the next tenants. Please remove all furniture, garbage, and personal belongings. We also ask that you leave your keys in the apartment on the kitchen counter and leave the door unlocked. This will allow the new tenants easy access to the apartment on move-in day. Your apartment will be inspected before you move out.

Am I allowed to have pets?

Under the Act, you are allowed to have pets. If you do own a pet, please make Sleepwell aware of this in your application. You will be responsible for cleaning up after your pet, indoors and out. If any damages are caused as a result of your pet, you will be held financially responsible for the required repairs.

Be aware that a tenant can be evicted for having a pet in their unit only if:

  • The pet is making too much noise, damaging the unit, or causing an allergic reaction, or
  • The animal or species is considered to be inherently dangerous.

Even if the tenancy agreement has a 'no pets' rule in it, the tenant cannot be evicted for having a pet unless the Board decides, in an order, that the pet is causing a problem, or that the pet is inherently dangerous.

back to top


Can I sublet my apartment?

Approval from Sleepwell is required before apartments can be sublet for any period of time. Responsibility for advertising the apartment and finding a suitable replacement falls to the original tenant(s). The new tenant(s) will be required to submit an application to Sleepwell, but the original tenant(s) remain(s) responsible for the apartment and payment of rent. Therefore, the new tenant(s) will pay rent to the original tenant(s), and the original tenant(s) will continue to pay Sleepwell. Please ensure that enough post-dated cheques are submitted to cover all rent payments during the absence.

If you wish to sublet for the remainder of your lease, you have two options: (1) sublet or (2) reassignment. With reassignment, the original tenant(s) must still find suitable replacement tenant(s). However, in this case, the new tenant(s) must submit an application, sign a new lease, and submit deposit for new last month's rent. Once this process is complete and the new tenant(s) approved, the original tenant(s) lease will become void and their last month's rent deposit will be returned. If any of the above conditions are not met, the original tenant(s) remain(s) legally bound to their lease and their deposit may not be returned. Please note a $100 fee applies to all lease reassignments.

What is the difference between subletting and reassigning a unit?

When a unit is “sublet”, the original tenant moves out for a specific period of time, but moves back into the unit before the lease term is up. The new tenant is referred to as a subtenant. The subtenant must pay rent to the original tenant who continues to pay the landlord. Sleepwell allows subletting, but retains the right to deny subletting to any specific subtenant with reason.

When a unit is “reassigned”, the original tenant moves out of the unit permanently and a new lease agreement is signed. All the terms of the original rental agreement (i.e. amount of rent, services included, etc.) remain the same.

What happens if a tenant sublets or reassigns their unit without Sleepwell's consent?

If a unit is sublet or reassigned without Sleepwell's consent, it is considered unauthorized. Sleepwell can file an application with the Board to evict both the original tenant(s) and the unauthorized occupant(s).

back to top


What methods of payment does Sleepwell accept for monthly rent payments?

We prefer that tenants submit 11 post-dated cheques at the time of their lease signing. If you choose to do otherwise, payments must be received by the first of the month in the form of personal cheque(s), certified cheque(s), or money order(s). Post-dated cheques ensure that your monthly rent is paid on time.

Do I have to submit post-dated cheques?

Post-dated cheques are our recommendation and preference. Overdue rent payments can be avoided, and processing of all outstanding rents is much more efficient. If you do not submit a series of post-dated cheques, you will still be responsible for making sure that your rent is paid by the first day of every month, without exception.

When is rent due?

Unless alternative arrangements have been made between tenant(s) and Sleepwell, rent is due no later than the first day of every month. Tenants will owe Sleepwell a monetary penalty for cheques returned due to non-sufficient funds, in addition to the fees owed to their banking institution.

When is rent considered overdue?

Rent is considered overdue if it is not paid on the 1st of the month. For example, if a rent payment is due on the 1st of the month and it is not received on that day, it is overdue.

What are the possible consequences of overdue rent payment(s)?

If rent is not paid on the date that it is due, a landlord can give the tenant(s) a Notice to End a Tenancy Early for Non-payment of Rent (Form N4). This notice advises the tenant(s) who make monthly rent payments; they have 14 days to either: (1) pay overdue rent or (2) move out. If the overdue rent is not paid, and the tenant(s) won’t move, Sleepwell can make an application to the Board for an order to:

  • Require tenant(s) to pay the overdue rent, and/or;
  • Evict tenant(s) if they do not make the entire payment by a specified deadline.

If rent payments are frequently overdue, Sleepwell may give a Notice to Terminate a Tenancy at the End of Term (Form N8). Daily or weekly tenants must be given 28 days notice and in all other cases, the tenant must be given 60 days notice. Sleepwell can apply to the Board for an order to evict the tenant immediately following the tenants’ receipt of notice.

Whom do I make rent cheques payable to?

In most cases, rent cheques should be made payable to Sleepwell Management. However, there are a few exceptions – please refer to your lease agreement to verify whom your cheques should be made out to. If you have misplaced your copy of the lease, login to your Tenant Services area or contact the office at 613-521-2000.

Are monthly rent receipts available?

Rent receipts are not provided to tenants automatically but they are available by request. To request a rent receipt, login to Tenant Services and submit the request form, or email the office with the following information:

  • Your name, phone number, and mailing address,
  • The month(s) and year you are requesting rent receipt(s) for,
  • The rental unit address and the monthly rent that you paid.

This information will be verified with our records and rent receipt(s) will be prepared and mailed as soon as possible.

Is apartment insurance included in my rent?

No. If you are interested in purchasing insurance for the protection of your apartment and your personal belongings, it is your responsibility to do so. Sleepwell does not cover any insurance costs, nor the costs of any damages incurred as a result of fire, flood or break-in. Sleepwell strongly recommends tenants carry tenant insurance.

How often can the rent be increased?

Rent for a new tenant cannot be increased until 12 months after the tenancy has started. Sleepwell is then allowed to increase the rent once every 12 months.

Does Sleepwell have to give notification of a rent increase?

Yes. Sleepwell must give a tenant written notice of rent increase at least 90 days before the day the rent increases. The notice must include how much the new rent payment will be and when the new payment goes into effect. If the tenant decides the new rent payment is more than what they want to pay, there is enough time for the tenant to provide Sleepwell with proper notice of termination and move out before the rent increase begins.

Can rent be withheld because Sleepwell isn't properly maintaining a building or unit?

Sleepwell has an excellent reputation for providing their tenants with fast and efficient repair services, so this should not be an issue. In accordance with the Act, rent must still be paid on time, even if a tenant feels their maintenance needs are not being met. If a tenant withholds rent, Sleepwell can give the tenant a Notice to End a Tenancy Early for Non-payment of Rent (Form N4) and then file an application with the Board to evict the tenant. To ensure that this does not become an issue, it is important to submit your service/repair requests to Sleepwell either by logging into Tenant Services or in writing to our office as soon as possible.

back to top


How much notice does a tenant have to give if they want to move out?

Sleepwell must be provided with a 60 day, written notice of termination from the tenant(s). The termination date must be the last day of their rental period or lease, 60 days notice to vacate does not apply during a lease. For example, if it is a monthly tenancy that begins on the first day of each month and the tenant gives Sleepwell notice on June 15th, the termination date would be August 31.

On what grounds can a tenant be evicted?

There are many different reasons for evicting a tenant. The following is a brief list of some of these examples:

  • Rent has not been paid in full
  • Rent is frequently overdue
  • Damage has been caused to the rental property
  • Illegal activity being performed by the tenant in the unit or on property grounds
  • Safety of others has been compromised
  • Peace of other tenants or landlord has been disturbed
  • Too many people are living in the rental unit (“overcrowding”)
  • In the case of subsidized housing, income has not been reported
  • Landlord requires the unit for him/herself personally

back to top


Who is responsible for maintaining the unit?

It is the landlord's responsibility to maintain the unit and ensure that it is in a good state of repair, even if:

  • The tenant was aware of problems in the unit before they moved into it, or,
  • The landlord puts into the lease that the tenant is responsible for maintenance.

The tenant is ultimately responsible for keeping the unit clean, up to the standard that most people consider ordinary for normal cleanliness. The tenant is also responsible for repairing or paying for any damage to the rental property caused by the tenant, their guests or another person living in the rental unit.

How do I put a request in for repairs?

All requests for repairs must be submitted in writing. You may submit your request online by logging into Tenant Services, by email or by fax (613-232-5696). Please provide enough detail for us to assess the problem and assign an appropriate repair person without visiting your unit. Your request will be assigned within 24 hours.

If your situation is an emergency (leaks, flood, no heat/water/electricity), please call our office day or evening at 613-521-2000.

I have an emergency repair that requires immediate attention. What do I do?

If your situation is an emergency (leaks, flood, no heat/water/electricity), please call our office day or evening at 613-521-2000

What do I do if there is a fire in my apartment?

Get out safely, call 911, and inform the Sleepwell office as soon as possible.

I am locked out of my apartment. What do I do?

If you have roommates, please try to have them let you in. If you cannot reach them, and it is during office hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm), you can call the office at 613-521-2000 and someone will meet you at your apartment to let you in. In this case, you will be required to pay a $25 fee. If you have locked yourself out of your apartment after office hours, you will be required to call a locksmith to get back into your apartment and pay all associated costs (may range from $60-$100).

I’ve lost my keys. How do I get a new set?

If you have roommates, make arrangements to make a copy of their set. You will be responsible for all associated costs. Otherwise, you can fill out the online request form in Tenant Services or call the office during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm) and Sleepwell will provide a new set of keys within 24 hours at a cost of $25.

Am I allowed to paint my apartment?

Painting without Sleepwell’s permission is a violation of your lease and is subject to legal action. If you would like to paint your apartment, please email your request and we will let you know whether or not you can proceed. If your request is approved, you will be required to paint your apartment back to its original colours prior to moving out.

Damage has occurred in my apartment (hole in the wall, broken window etc.), do I have to pay for it?

Yes. Your lease states that you will be held financially accountable for any damages that occur in your apartment. Periodic inspections may be held throughout your tenancy (24-hour notice will be supplied in writing) to evaluate the condition of your rental unit.

back to top

Administrative/Sleepwell Office

How do I get to the Sleepwell Office?

Sleepwell's office is located at 423 Bronson Ave. Get Directions. Our office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.

Who is responsible for paying utilities?

You will be made aware of any extra utility costs that you are responsible for when you sign your lease. This information will also be included in your lease agreement.

What bus routes are close to my apartment?

Please refer to the OC Transpo website for nearby bus routes.

When is garbage/recycling day for me?

Garbage and recycling pick-up days vary depending on your location within the city. Please consult the City of Ottawa website to find out when yours is. Some apartment properties have garbage and recycling receptacles available for your convenience.

Who is responsible for snow removal?

Sleepwell must ensure that the building and units are kept in a good state of repair, fit for habitation and that they comply with any health, safety, housing and maintenance standards, which includes snow removal.

Can a Sleepwell employee enter my apartment?

The Act allows a landlord to enter a unit only under specific circumstances. In most cases, the landlord must provide the tenant 24 hours written notice, stating when they will enter and for what reason. There are some exceptions, such as in the case of emergency. This information will be included in your lease agreement.

Can I refuse to let Sleepwell enter my apartment?

Provided that Sleepwell has complied with the Act, a tenant cannot refuse entry. If a tenant does not provide access, Sleepwell can give them a Notice to Terminate Tenancy Early (Form N5) claiming the tenant is interfering with their lawful rights, which the tenant could be prosecuted for. A Member of the Board could order the tenant's eviction for this reason.

Can I change the locks?

No. A tenant cannot change the locks. Also, a tenant cannot add locks that might prevent a Sleepwell employee from entering the unit.

Can Sleepwell change the locks?

Sleepwell can change the locks while the tenant is living in the unit as long as they give the tenant a key for the new lock. If a tenant has been evicted, Sleepwell can change the locks even if the tenant has left property in the unit.

Can I use Sleepwell as a reference for my next rental application?

Yes, Sleepwell is happy to provide you with a reference for your next rental application.

Have we answered everything?

If you have any questions that have not been answered on this website, please fill out the Feedback form in Tenant Services or email us and a Sleepwell representative will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible. For legal issues regarding Landlord and Tenant matters, please refer to the Landlord and Tenant Board website.

back to top

About this content

FAQ answers are based on information available in the Residential Tenancies Act (2007), which applies to residential rental housing. The Act outlines the specific rights and responsibilities of residential landlords and tenants.

The mission of the Landlord and Tenant Board is to inform landlords and tenants about their rights and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancies Act and provide balanced and timely dispute resolution in accordance with the law. For more detailed information please visit the Board website:

Available apartment

341 Tweedsmuir Avenue,
Ottawa, ON, K1Z 5N3

bedrooms: 2 bedrooms
price: $2400
available: March

Half month's rent FREE on April leases!!

  • Modern open concept kitchen and living area
  • Stainless steel appliances
  • Large, bright

    See details